Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Producers

In 2012 Jason and I took a tour of the Warner Bros. public lot. During the tour we got to see stages, props, actors, warehouses and everything in between. Our tour guide told us many "lot stories" including one of studio producers. In sitcoms producers come in, listen to a story, tell the writers to fix it, arrange for advertising sponsors, tell the show runners they needed to fix things again and repeat. Listening to our tour guide I thought that these "producer people" were kind of bossy and obnoxious.

Fast forward to 2013 when Jessica steps into her own shoes of a producer. I would not say I asked to be a producer, but it just happened.

Time and time again Jason thinks of an idea for a video, writes it down, mulls it over and finally is ready to bring it to me to discuss. He reads me his idea and I tell him what to change or how we need to scrap the whole thing (Sorry, Jason). 

When we are shooting the video I come in and oversee how everything is going. I make sure our crew gets breaks and has food and drinks. I constantly tell Jason that something is in his shot or point something out that he does not hear or realize. I am Captain Jason's First Mate.

After production, Jason edits the video and I step in to watch it and tell him how I think it should be reworked to include shots he forgot he even had. He plays it for me again after he gets lost in the edit room and I give him another list of changes. Step and repeat.

Once the video is uploaded it is my job to post it to our Twitter, Facebook and Blog to get our viewers to watch it for the very first, and hopefully many more, times.

Looking back I realize that "producer people" are not bossy or obnoxious; instead they are people who facilitate getting a product from point A to Z in an efficient and effective way. Producers have to have a certain skillset to be able to think of all of the possible issues that may even slightly arise. And more than anything, producers have to be great managers who are strong and assertive.

-Posted by Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment